Christi's Corner

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Naked & Sad.

About a week ago I started wondering if the stone in my ring was loose.

Today I took it to the jeweler to be cleaned and she informed me that one of the side stones was loose and the middle stone needed new tines otherwise it was going to fall out. Needless to say, I was very distraught.

I took it to another jeweler (you should always get a second opinion). She reiterated what the first jeweler said and even let me look in their scope to see the top setting. The gold in the tines is so worn away that the center stone is crooked in the setting.

It shouldn't surprise me that the tines are worn. The ring was my Grandma Jenkin's ring and is at least 70 years old.

So now my finger is naked and I'm sad.

1 Comments:

  • At 6:57 AM, Blogger Michael David MacBride said…

    Sad indeed. A story for you, in a similar vein:

    Once upon a time I used to weigh more than I do now--in fact, back when Gayle and I got married. So, my ring was one size... and then I lost weight... and my finger was an entirely different size.

    Skip to a day when I was doing laundry in the laundry facilities at our old apartment in Kansas City, MO. Loads of laundry up and down the stairs... I don't even know how many... and then I suddenly realize, "I don't have my ring on."

    Panic. Did I have it in the morning? Of course I did... I never take it off. When was the last time I looked at it?

    I scoured every inch of our apartment, and each of the three flights of stairs up and down to the laundry area. Then, the last place I looked (in the washer)... I found it.

    A frightening 45 minutes or so. After which time, I got it resized to fit my reduced frame.

    In either case, I can sympathize. It's strange how after years of never wearing a ring, it's become something that I am just used to... and when it's not there I feel very naked and strange.

    Also, just to make this the longest comment on a blog ever, I think that's very cool that you have your grandmother's ring. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home