End of the Semester Email Blues
Today I'll share a little student gem. First, a little set up is needed: the students emailed me their papers to comment on before they're due next week. They did this by 10am Thursday. It is now 3:30 Friday, a mere 29 hrs later (but teachers don't sleep, right?) and I receive this email:
"I was just wondering if you got my draft. I sentin Wednesday night and I hadnt gotten anything back yet so Iwas just checking to make sure you got it. If your not donewith them yet thats fine"
I squished the urge to want to type back:
Listen, you ingrate, I've read 33 essays in the past 2 days. Yours, unfortunately, was not one of them because your last name starts with a V. Soon enough, my friend, you will get your paper back with my comments. However, I can probably tell you from that email what those comments will be--use an apostrophe, a comma perhaps, check your spelling, and write in complete sentences.
Love,
The person who stands at the front of the classroom and does your bidding.
Instead I crafted a lovely little note saying that I had gotten it and she could expect to receive it back by Monday afternoon. Can you tell it's the end of the semester and I'm tired of stupid emails? How many stupid emails is one person expected to deal with in a day? Is 3 too many? 6? 12?
"I was just wondering if you got my draft. I sentin Wednesday night and I hadnt gotten anything back yet so Iwas just checking to make sure you got it. If your not donewith them yet thats fine"
I squished the urge to want to type back:
Listen, you ingrate, I've read 33 essays in the past 2 days. Yours, unfortunately, was not one of them because your last name starts with a V. Soon enough, my friend, you will get your paper back with my comments. However, I can probably tell you from that email what those comments will be--use an apostrophe, a comma perhaps, check your spelling, and write in complete sentences.
Love,
The person who stands at the front of the classroom and does your bidding.
Instead I crafted a lovely little note saying that I had gotten it and she could expect to receive it back by Monday afternoon. Can you tell it's the end of the semester and I'm tired of stupid emails? How many stupid emails is one person expected to deal with in a day? Is 3 too many? 6? 12?

2 Comments:
At 4:16 PM,
The Zeldenrust Family said…
ha ha! i finally got around to reading some of your blog entries. oh the life of a teacher...
At 11:05 AM,
Kristin said…
Pot calling the kettle! If I blog again, then you have to blog again. Deal?:)
Post a Comment
<< Home