Christi's Corner

Friday, May 05, 2006

Schai's Way Part III

Yesterday Melissa was grading some essays when she came across a paragraph that was really well written. I looked at it and said, "This kid doesn't know what 'mise-e-scene' is." Melissa told me that they did discuss the term in class, but I still didn't buy that the kid knew what it was, spelled it correctly, and put it in the same setence as "aesthetically pleasing." So I googled 3 words in quotes.
BAM.
This wasn't just off some website review. Oh no, it was from www.cheathouse.com Yeah, I can hardly tell that you stole that. Dumbass.

Did I mention that this was for an extra credit essay? The last week of the semester? I barely need mention that if it were my student, he would've received an F for the entire course. For being stupid.

I love to find plagarism. I get a high from googling a particularly well-crafted sentence that I know the student could not have written and finding it on some papermill website.

Does that make me a sick individual?

If we could find me a part-time job where I could sit at the computer and search for plagarists, I would be in heaven. In fact, after every little tard I found cheating, I would do my plagarism dance. Yes, I have a dance.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger Kristin said…

    Oh how I love the plagiarism dance! Remember that kid's essay for my class last year that discussed how we might turn in to "mind zombies"?? How hysterical! Great post!

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Blogger Peter said…

    I don't even know what 'mise-e-scene' is. I thought that's what happened when you fell asleep during a movie or play.

     
  • At 8:03 PM, Blogger Kristin said…

    Amber - Unfortunately you may not be aware of the fact that a blog is sometimes used to vent. I am quite sure that you do not like every aspect of your job. And your ignorant post just proves that you don't know Christi and have never sat in on one of her classes. She is an exceptional teacher, supportive of her students and really strives to help them achieve success in and out of the classroom.

    So in the future, you may want to bite your tongue before making such broad judgments of a person you hardly know.

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger Christi said…

    Thanks for your insight, "Amber."

    It's because I am a bad teacher that students cheat. In my own classroom, I use opportunities to discuss plagarism and how to avoid it. Usually unintentional plagarism can be turned into what I like to call a 'teachable moment.' cheathouse.com is not a teachable moment. It is cheating and, following the standards that the university sets for us, should be punished.

    I hope you teach your children not to cheat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home