A Brand New Semester, a Brand New Chr...oh screw it
So it's almost 1am and I'm still not in bed.
I have that feeling in my stomach like I did that very first day as a teaching assistant.
Why do they call us assistants? What exactly do we assist?
Instead of sleeping like I should've been 2 hrs ago, I'm printing off syllabi because I woke up and thought: "Oh no! What if the kids in my class can't log onto D2L? They won't be able to look at the syllabus as I read it to them! NO! I must print off 20 copies immediately or I'll never be able to sleep!"
A girl I went to college with is signed up for my class this semester. That kind of freaks me out. I know she's an excellent student, but it's just weird. Thing is, I suggested she take the other section but she knows that teacher too.
Oh, a new semester. It's like a brand new life. A chance to be something completely different than you were last semester. An opportunity to make a difference, no matter how small, in someone's life.
I just realized that I may never feel this new-semester-stomach-flip way again. If I don't teach again. It's a real possibility, isn't it? I may have spent 5 years of my life working up to May 13, 2006 to put that all important piece of paper into a silent desk drawer--never to be looked at again.
And so I get married. Work a stupid job I could've worked at before I invested all this time and effort into school. Eventually we'll have kids. Which will be awesome. And then I'll do what I've always really wanted to do anyway. Yeah, I want to be a stay-at-home Mom.
Just cuz I want to be a Mom doesn't mean I can't have a Master's degree in English.
Give me a break. Don't expect eloquence. It's 1 in the morning. Geez.
I have that feeling in my stomach like I did that very first day as a teaching assistant.
Why do they call us assistants? What exactly do we assist?
Instead of sleeping like I should've been 2 hrs ago, I'm printing off syllabi because I woke up and thought: "Oh no! What if the kids in my class can't log onto D2L? They won't be able to look at the syllabus as I read it to them! NO! I must print off 20 copies immediately or I'll never be able to sleep!"
A girl I went to college with is signed up for my class this semester. That kind of freaks me out. I know she's an excellent student, but it's just weird. Thing is, I suggested she take the other section but she knows that teacher too.
Oh, a new semester. It's like a brand new life. A chance to be something completely different than you were last semester. An opportunity to make a difference, no matter how small, in someone's life.
I just realized that I may never feel this new-semester-stomach-flip way again. If I don't teach again. It's a real possibility, isn't it? I may have spent 5 years of my life working up to May 13, 2006 to put that all important piece of paper into a silent desk drawer--never to be looked at again.
And so I get married. Work a stupid job I could've worked at before I invested all this time and effort into school. Eventually we'll have kids. Which will be awesome. And then I'll do what I've always really wanted to do anyway. Yeah, I want to be a stay-at-home Mom.
Just cuz I want to be a Mom doesn't mean I can't have a Master's degree in English.
Give me a break. Don't expect eloquence. It's 1 in the morning. Geez.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home