Christi's Corner

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

New Year Avoidance



Gazing at this picture will make everyone feel better about whatever it is they are avoiding. It's me, at the hockey game on New Year's Eve, pretending to be our constipated mascot, the beloved Stomper.

Instead of working on my thesis, I will blog.
Instead of working on getting Eng. 201 together, I will blog.
Instead of watching my friends and fiance get drunk and eat brats, I will blog.

Blogging makes me feel productive. Even though my house is a shit-hole and I have no where near the amount of work done that I should, blogging is typing and sitting intelligently at the computer and that makes me feel good.

Could I wash the pile of dishes in the kitchen? Yes.
Could I put wash the rest of the clothes in a pile on the floor? Yes.
Could I put away the clothes that are already dry and keep moving from my bed back to the hope chest standing against the wall? Yes.

But typing this blog feels like work. It sure does. Productive, literary work. Like I am really accomplishing something even though I'm saying nothing.

My dear friend has gone and got herself married. I didn't want her to get married. Not that it's my place to say whether she should get married or not, I just want to keep her to myself. Now she's married this guy that I barely know and moved off to Indiana. 10 hrs away. I realize why everyone gets all pissed off when people get married. It's irritating. I mean, good for her, but she's gone now and I miss her.

But blogging takes away my anger toward her new husband and their new life in Indiana. In fact, I feel a lot better just saying that it makes me mad she got married off and moved away.

Here's something I don't understand about this mystical thing called a thesis. How in the world are you supposed to know how to write one? It's not like I have ever done it before. Here, they say, go write and pour yourself into this thing that you don't even know if you're doing right and then we'll read it and let you know. Isn't there a class that tells you how to go about it? Maybe that was Bib & Research...hmmm...

2 Comments:

  • At 7:16 AM, Blogger Kristin said…

    Thank God. Yes, when people get married, it IS irritating. I'm glad you understand. Although my irritation comes from the squealing and emotional bullshit, but that's just me.

     
  • At 4:36 PM, Blogger Sethy Go Bragh! said…

    I think these theses (thesises?) are a waste of time. These blogs ought to count toward our degree. In fact, I think that if we created a blog about whatever book you wanted to study and worked on it every day...ish it should be just as good. I could call mine: The shit I found in Catch-22 today.

    I also find that aside from blogging, I find that reading Harry Potter feels like productive work because I'm reading something. So you may want to add that to the mix.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home