Christi's Corner

Friday, January 20, 2006

I should entitle this: Thesis Avoidance

I want to take up Seth's idea of using a blog as a thesis. Let's create a petition.

It could be something we worked on every day. Something that interested us. Something that we weren't forced to choose 3 weeks into our graduate experience.

Let's recap:
I wanted to do Brit Lit. I love Brit Lit. Unfortunately, I took an American Lit first. What was I thinking? Then I had to do all kinds of research things. So I created less work for myself by combining American Lit with the research things. Afterall, I was working on a seminar paper and needed to research for that. Magically, this thing I created during my first semester at grad school has become my thesis topic.
I'm much too far along to start over. I was much to far along last year to start over. Don't get me wrong, I like Chopin. She's interesting and I think I have an interesting slant to put on the research that's out there. Instead of focusing on her female characters (like EVERY other feminist critic), I am looking at her Catholic notion of sacrifice, physical/emotional distance, and something else yet to be determined. How that will fit into my overall idea of her developing notion of relationships between men and women, I'm not yet sure.

It'll all get done. I know it will. But it's such a gigantic thing. It's paralyzing. I feel like we weren't given enough direction to begin with. Now we just have to suck it up and try our best to generate 80 pgs of something worth reading. Something worth adding to the academic community. Something that won't suck. Too bad.

In other news:
My class this semester is really diverse. That is exciting. Instead of being "Mike from St. Peter", "Carrie from New Ulm", "Julie from Mankato", "George from Blue Earth", etc...(i just made that all up, but you know what i mean) there are some really interesting people with some new, fresh perspectives. I had them do a short fiction activity--switch computers (so they didn't have to share their own)--and share. It was fabulously funny. All but 2 were really, really good. And all of them were entertaining.
Welcome 201, we're gonna have a good time. Oh, they also looked at me the whole time I lectured on the 2nd day. When I gave them afore mentioned activity, they actually worked on it the entire time I gave them and did not dick around on the internet. They all get an A+ for the first week. I hope the positive vibe continues. If things continue at this rate, they may shape up to be one of my favorite classes (but still can't replace my very first).

What else? While we're all avoiding working on thesis, homework, planning class, you name it, I may as well quevetch about wedding things.
So. Caterers. What's the deal? Weddings are big business. If I'm gonna shell out thousands of bucks for your food, don't you think I should be able to taste it first? Um, duh. Who decided to get married in New Ulm, where there are only 3 caterers in town? I'm an idiot.
So. Decisions. Made by too many people. How many people does it take to make a wedding decision? Bride, groom, mother of bride, mother of groom, father of bride (only because he has the cash) + any of the people actually involved (ie: florist, photographer, caterer, etc). Yeah. Next time I'm hiring a consultant.
So. Bridesmaids. I love them. Being 5-6 months pregnant. *sigh* Basically, I want your love and support on this day, which is why I asked you to stand up for me. It's petty to be all: oh, you're pregnant. that'll ruin my pictures. Love the tummy, friend!

I am out of gas. I've got 3 more stories to slot into the draft of a chapter that I have to send out to my thesis director by 3pm. It's a self-imposed deadline, but I can't spend all day with this. I have Faulkner to read, next week's 201 to plan, and a cake to bake. It's Kurt's birthday. I told him I'd make him a cake. It'll be delicious. Unless I screw it up. In which case, he can have birthday cookies. Everyone knows I make kick-ass cookies.

Only 20 weeks till the wedding.
Only 14 weeks of the semester left.
Only 6 weeks till the final draft of the thesis is due.
Holy cow, we're off like a herd o' turtles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home