Christi's Corner

Monday, August 07, 2006

school & truck woes

Where is the summer going?

Soon I'll have to go back to school. Back not as a student, but as a faculty member responsible for the little bugger's first introduction to college English. In addition to the Carroll job, I have also accepted a gig at Bryant & Stratton College in Milwaukee. I have a touch of trepidation about this, but even if it's really horrible, it's only a semester. I just have to keep my eyes on the 3rd week of December and plow ahead.
And it's another line on my CV. And money.

This weekend was really tiring and emotional. Kurt has been preaching pretty much every weekend which take a lot out of both of us. This weekend he has 4 services at the same church--1 Sat. night, 2 Sun. morning, & 1 Mon. night. Whew.

On the way to church yesterday morning, Kurt's truck just stopped running. On the freeway. It was really scary. I called the Milwaukee police to tell them that the truck was on the side of the road and the dispatcher told me we had 2 hrs to move it off the freeway. This was at 7:30am. We would not be back till after the 10:30 service. Obviously this wasn't going to work. So, if you have a little weight, sometimes you have to throw it around. I told the dispatcher that my husband was a preacher and we were on the way to church. We couldn't possibly make it back within 2 hrs to which she replied: "oh! well i'll note that on the report and tell the cruiser just to make sure it's out of traffic and not blocking the ramp." KICKASS!

Let's make this long story shorter...we came back to retreive the truck and the same thing happened as we tried to get it back home. We let it sit for an hour and tried it again. Wouldn't start. We've been trying to sell it for a couple of weeks but this was just the end of the line. We called the junker man who came, gave us $150, and towed it away. We stood and watched as he loaded it up onto the flatbed. I don't know why it was so emotional but both of us started to cry. I grew up in that truck & it was Kurt's first vehicle truly his own.

So now we're a 1 car family. Which means that Kurt took the car to work this morning and I'm at home. Nah, it's OK but it'll just take some getting used to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home